The history of Brunswick United Church is written every day through the lives of its servant people. The first Service of Brunswick Methodist Church was held on 10 September 1950. In May 1952, the old wooden Elim Lutheran Church was moved from Robbinsdale to the present site of the office wing. The Reverend Toby Horst became the first full-time minister in August 1954. The education wing was added in 1959. The New sanctuary was dedicated in October 1968. In 1969 the Reverend Duane Lunemann became the senior Minister, a position he would hold for 17 years. Dinner at your Door was founded in 1972, and the first associate Pastor arrived in 1977. During the late 1960s and early 1970s Brunswick had the largest Sunday school program in the Minnesota Annual Conference with over 1,000 Sunday School participants! The congregation was also known for its great outreach ministry.
The west end of the building with offices, choir space, chapel, youth, and Terrace Room was added in 1984. The Moeller Pipe organ was installed two years later, adding to the strong musical tradition at Brunswick. In 1986 the Reverend Wayne Abdella became Senior Pastor. In 1996 the Reverend Mike Miller became the Lead Pastor. The Reverend David Wheeler followed him in 2002. Reverend Mike Dyrdal began to lead the Brunswick congregation in 2005, followed by Reverend Bart Fletcher who came in 2012. In 2016, Pastor Rick Fossum became our interim pastor for the first half of the year until Reverend Ruth Ann Ramstad joined us in June. In July 2023, Pastor Malachi became our pastor.
The 2002 Capital Campaign led the rebuilding of the Narthex, Sanctuary remodeling, all new roof, new boilers, new carpeting, freshly painted hallways, and new lighting throughout much of the building. A new North Entrance rounded out the remodeling project of 2002-2003. In September 2004 a large rear projector and screen were added to enhance worship, and stained glass windows were installed in 2005. Ministering to the Northwest Metro since 1950, Brunswick United Methodist Church is committed to Sharing God’s Grace, Hospitality, and Hope!